Silvas and its affiliated companies and websites “Silvas ”, are committed to protecting your privacy. Please read this policy carefully as it describes the way in which we handle and collect your personal information. This applies to all personally identifiable information we receive, such as your name, address and telephone number.
We take this stance not just to fulfill our legislative obligations under the Privacy Act 1988 (“the Act”), but also because we value your trust and our ongoing relationship. You have no obligation to provide any personal information however if you choose to withhold your personal information we may not be able to provide the products or services that depend on the collection and use of your information.
This policy describes how we will abide by the Australian Privacy Principles (“APPs”) that form part of the Act. If you are part of the EEA (European Economic Area) this policy is also applicable.
1. What Personal Information Do We Gather About You?
When you use Silvas by, among other actions, ordering a subscription or other product, providing registration details, setting newsletter preferences, browsing our sites, completing a survey, entering a contest or otherwise interacting with Silvas Services, we gather personal information. Personal information is information that identifies you as an individual or relates to an identifiable individual. Several different types of personal information can be gathered when you interact with Silvas , depending on the type of product or service being used. Collection of personal information is necessary to delivering you the Silvas Services or to enhance your customer experience.
We and our service providers collect personal information in a variety of ways, including:
A) Through Silvas Services
- Registration: When you register for a Silvas Service, we collect personal information. For example, registration on our websites can be done by supplying a unique email address and password, or by linking your Facebook or Google accounts. See below “From Other Sources” for more information about linking your Facebook or Google Accounts. Registration to an event, conference or digital resources requires that you complete a form that will include, at a minimum, your name and email address. Registration when you purchase a magazine or digital subscription.
- Billing: To subscribe to a Silvas Service or enable payment via the Silvas , we collect and use your name, address, telephone number, email address, credit or debit card information and other billing information.
iii. User-Generated Content and Public Activities (Including Comments and Reader Reviews): We offer you opportunities to engage in public activities on our websites and other Silvas Services. “Public activities” are any actions you take on Silvas Services that are designed to be visible to other users, including comments, recommendations, reader reviews, ratings or any other items that you submit. If you choose to engage in public activities, you should be aware that any personal information you submit can be read, collected and used by other users of these services. We are not responsible for the personal information you choose to submit in the course of your public activities and we have no responsibility to publish, take down, remove or edit any of your public activities or submissions (except as required by applicable laws). For more information, read the “Use of the Silvas sites and the Community Areas” section of the Terms & Conditions.
- Competitions, Promotions and Special Offers: We collect personal information, such as your name, address, age and email, from you when you participate in competitions, promotions or special offers.
- Reader Surveys and Market Research: We and our service providers collect personal information from you through voluntary surveys or feedback programs conducted via the Silvas Services, through our service providers’ platforms, by phone, by mail or during in-person interviews or events. We will ask you for your consent to the processing of information at the point of collection. We also conduct similar research for advertisers.
- Loyalty Programs: When you interact with our loyalty programs and answer questionnaires, we collect personal information about you.
vii. Contact With Our Call Centres. We collect personal information from you in non-digital contexts, including, for example, when you place an order over the phone or contact customer service.
viii. Application for Employment and Internship. We collect personal information from you such as your name, date of birth, address, and email.
B) From Other Sources
- Publicly available databases, including privately-held marketing and data analytics resources. For example, we may receive demographic information (age, sex, household income, job industry and job title) from these sources.
- Joint marketing and third-parties, when they share the information with us.
2. What Do We Do With The Personal Information We Collect About You?
We collect, use or otherwise process personal information as allowed under applicable law, including where based on one or more of the following:
- The consent you provide to us at the point of collection of your personal information;
- The performance of the contract we have with you;
- The compliance of a legal obligation to which we are subject; or
- The legitimate interests of Silvas , a third-party or yourself. It means that there are good reasons for the processing of your personal information and measures are taken to minimise the impact on your privacy rights and interests. Legitimate interest also references our use of your data in ways you would reasonably expect and that have a minimal privacy impact. We have a legitimate interest in collecting and processing personal information, for example: (1) to ensure that our networks and information are secure; (2) to administer and generally conduct business within Silvas ; and (3) to prevent fraud.
- A) Provide the Silvas Services You Request. We use the information we gather about you to enable your use of Silvas Services and fulfil your requests for certain products and services, such as providing the Silvas Services’ functionality to you, arranging access to your registered account, providing you with customer service, responding to your inquiries, requests, questions, suggestions, compliments or complaints, completing your transactions, sending you administrative information (such as change of our terms, conditions, or policies) and enabling you to participate in and renew paid services, polls, promotions, surveys, research, events, digital resources and message boards (forums). We will engage in these activities to manage our contractual relationship with you or comply with a legal obligation.
- B) Analysis and Development of New Products and Services. We perform statistical, demographic and marketing analyses of users of the Silvas Services, and their subscribing, purchasing, browsing and reading patterns, so we can analyse or predict our users’ preferences for product and services development purposes, to determine our promotional campaign effectiveness so we can adapt our campaign to the needs and interests of our users, and to generally inform advertisers about the nature of our subscriber base. We use this information for analytical purposes, including analysis to improve customer relationships, to support strategic business decisions and our marketing tactics and to measure and track our brand health. We will engage in these activities to manage our contractual relationship with you, to comply with a legal obligation, or because we have a legitimate interest in doing so.
- C) Customising Your Experience. We use the information that we have to better understand you and customise certain features of Silvas Services to provide you with an enhanced experience including to show you offerings, promotions or products that may be of interest to you, based on the demographic information, type of device you are using to access the Silvas Services, your usage of the Silvas Services and your browsing and reading history. We will provide personalised services because we have a legitimate interest.
- E) Administrative Purposes. We and our service providers use the information we have about you for the following legitimate business purposes:
- For auditing purposes, to verify that our internal processes function as intended and comply with legal, regulatory and contractual requirements;
- For fraud and security monitoring purposes, including, for example, to detect and prevent cyber-attacks; and
- To understand and assess satisfaction with our Services or our customer care team.
We engage in these activities to manage our contractual relationship with you, to comply with a legal obligation, or because we have a legitimate interest.
- F) Allowing you to participate in Competitions, Promotions and Special Offers. Some of these promotions have additional rules containing information about how we will use and disclose your personal information. We use this information to manage our contractual relationship with you.
- G) Aggregating and/or Anonymising Personal Information. We aggregate and/or anonymise personal information so that it will no longer be considered personally identifying. We do so periodically to generate other data for our use, which we may use and disclose for any purpose.
3. With Whom Do We Share The Personal Information We Gather?
- B) Sharing With Service Providers. We contract with other companies, agents or contractors (“service providers”) to provide services on our behalf. These services are, for example, credit-card, payment and billing processing, fulfillment of subscriptions, orders and prizes, information technology and related infrastructure provision, customer service, ad serving, shipping, email distribution, lead generation, list processing and analytics, research surveys, interviews, event management and analysis, or promotions management. In the course of performing these services, our service providers have access to your information including your personal information.
- We may share personal information, such as name, email, company and title, about attendees to our live events and conferences with sponsors; if we do, we will notify you when you provide us the information.
- We may also share personal information to third-party sponsors of competitions, promotions and special offers and will let you know at the point of collection of your information if we do.
- We share in aggregate results from research surveys or events with advertisers and clients.
- We have a legitimate interest in disclosing or transferring your personal information to a third-party in the event of any reorganisation, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer or other disposition of all or any portion of our business, assets or stock (including in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceedings). Such third-parties may include, for example, an acquiring entity and its advisors.
- D) Compliance With Legal Process. We may access, preserve and disclose personal information if we are required to do so by law or we have a good faith belief that such action is necessary to (1) comply with the law or with legal process; (2) protect and defend our rights and property; (3) protect against misuse or unauthorised use of Silvas Services; (4) protect the personal safety or property of our users or the public (among other things, this means that if you provide false information or attempt to pose as someone else, information about you may be disclosed as part of any investigation into your actions); and (5) cooperate with public and government authorities (which may be outside your country of residence).
- E) By Using Silvas Services, You May Elect to Disclose Personal Information.
- Public Activities: see above for more details on such activities. Public activities may be included in our RSS feeds, APIs and other distribution formats. As a result, your public activities may appear on other websites, blogs, or feeds.
4. Other Information Collected Using Technology
Other information does not specifically identify you and are collected through technology. It includes tracking information collected by us as well as third-parties.
We use various internet technologies to manage, and track the use of, the Silvas Services. We use and disclose this information for any purpose, except where we are required to do otherwise under applicable law. Information that we collect using these technologies is combined with personal information about you. If we combine information with personal information, we will treat the combined information as personal information.
- A) Device Information. We collect information about the computer, mobile device or other device you use to access the Silvas Services, such as Internet protocol (IP) addresses (the region or general location where your computer or device is accessing the Internet), geolocation information, unique device identifiers, browser type, browser language and other transactional information.
- B) Cookies, Beacons, Local Storage and Other Similar Technologies. We use “cookies,” Web beacons, tags and scripts, and other similar technologies including local storage objects such as HTML5. These technologies allow us to manage access to and use of the Silvas Services, recognise you and provide personalisation, and help us understand how people use the Silvas Services. You will not be able to access certain areas of our websites, if your computer does not accept cookies from us. Because there is no accepted standard on how to respond.